Comissão de Intercâmbio de Jovens
Mission and History
"Give from yourself before thinking on yourself"
The arrival of the Rotary International organization in Brazil was marked by the admission of the Rotary Club of Rio de Janeiro on February 28, 1923, consequently, the first club in which Portuguese was spoken in the world.
On January 29, 1921, Momsen held its first meeting with the participation of a group of gentlemen interested in founding a Rotary Club in Brazil. The draft of that first meeting was nevertheless drawn up and signed by 14 foreigners and 3 Brazilians.
The registration of the Rotary Club of Rio de Janeiro in Rotary International was only registered on February 28, 1923, the date that became the anniversary of the organization in Brazil.
The history of the Rotary Club of Rio de Janeiro is quite rich; Rotary's seed planting throughout Brazil resulted in the founding of the Rotary Club of São Paulo and, subsequently, of the Rotary Clubs of Belo Horizonte (1927), Juiz de Fora (1928) and Niterói (1928).
The seed planted in 1923 by the RC of Rio de Janeiro, germinated and paid off: today there are 38 districts in Brazil, with more than 2,300 Rotary units, of which more than 55,000 are Rotarians.
In the Rotary world, Brazil ranks third in number of clubs and fifth in number of associates. The importance of Brazil to the organization can be perceived by the constant mention by the IR administrators, as well as by the fact that two international conventions have already been held in this country; one in 1948 and another in 1990. Brazilian Presidents of Rotary International: Armando de Arruda Pereira (1940-41), Ernesto Imbassahy de Mello (1975-76) and Paulo Viriato Corrêa da Costa (1990-91).
VERTINHO DE OLIVEIRA
GOVERNOR D.4530 2018-2019
MaRIO SERGIO Cardoso